There are hundreds of ingredients for use in molecular mixology. Some of them can be bought locally but if you are smart, you will want to buy them on the internet where you can find much more variety and better prices. Of course, you know that the ingredients make up the most important part of the cocktail mixing gimmick. After all, if you do not have them right, then chances are that you will not be able to whip up your cocktails. Research is the key. Get online today and find out what you need for use. There are so many and if you come up with more in future, just post them here for other people. Thankfully, the available ingredients need not cost you a fortune. You will find them very affordable. The nitrous oxide cream chargers for the dispenser and single-use items so, I suppose they can be considered molecular Mixology ingredients.
Some of the ingredients are so common while some are not. Just see a few of the uncommon ingredients here:
- Agar agar is used as a gelling agent. It can pull liquids together without freezing or refrigeration. Just a little of this is needed because it is very effective.
- Xantham gum is also very important. It is odorless and it thickens when left undisturbed but when it is disturbed, it thins again. The effect of this ingredient is presentation. It has no flavor.
- Sodium alginate is odorless and flavorless. It is usually used as an emulsifier/thickener for liquids.
- Soy lecithin granules are used to create active foams that explode in the mouth.
- Calcium chloride is important because it is used with the Sodium alginate to create a jelly like skin in liquids.
In addition to the ingredients, you must also make sure that you have the right gadgets to do the cocktail mixing with. One thing that you must have noted is that molecular mixology ingredients are the same for molecular gastronomy. These two are very close and as said elsewhere in this website; they involve the combination of chemicals with food and drinks to come up with whopping palate delights.
Depending on what kind of cocktail you want to prepare, you will use different ingredients. For example, you can use spirits, sparkling wines and others for different types of cocktails. You must also know a few molecular mixology techniques.